Unable to send email to internet email accounts
Ven
2008-08-08 20:20:28 UTC
Hi! All,

I have a situation here. I have setup a exchange server 2007 for testing.

I am able to send emails internally - i.e between MS outlook on 2 other win
XP machines. Even the OWA is working fine for me internally.

Now I wanted to test sending an email to my yahoo ID, firstly is this
possible??? I dont have an external IP nor is my dummy domain "xyz.com" is
registered on the Internet.

I believe to receive an email from external world - my domain has to be
registered and an MX record has to be there on my ISP DNS server.

Someone please give me step-by-step and places where I have to configure for
sending email to external ID.

Appreciate your help.
Thank you
Regards
Ven
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2008-08-10 02:37:26 UTC
Post by Ven
Hi! All,
I have a situation here. I have setup a exchange server 2007 for testing.
Note that you're posting in Exchange 2000 groups, neither of which get much
traffic. I suggest you repost in microsoft.public.exchange.admin. MS has
moved away from version-specific groups for server products.
Post by Ven
I am able to send emails internally - i.e between MS outlook on 2
other win XP machines. Even the OWA is working fine for me internally.
Now I wanted to test sending an email to my yahoo ID, firstly is this
possible???
Yes. What happens when you try?
Post by Ven
I dont have an external IP
You have to have one on the WAN interface of your router/modem....even if
it's dynamic.
Post by Ven
nor is my dummy domain
"xyz.com" is registered on the Internet.
Not relevant....
Post by Ven
I believe to receive an email from external world - my domain has to
be registered
Yes
Post by Ven
and an MX record has to be there on my ISP DNS server.
Well, technically, all you need is an A record, but yes, overall you're
correct.
Post by Ven
Someone please give me step-by-step and places where I have to
configure for sending email to external ID.
Try posting in the other group for more help.
Post by Ven
Appreciate your help.
Thank you
Regards